Saturday, March 23, 2013

Let There Be Light


Growing up we all were taught about the light bulb going off in our head when we get an idea, but very few understand the true meaning behind it.  Just as I talked about in my blog about quantum computers, electrons exchange a virtual photon from a particle of a higher state to a particle of a lower state when they interact with one another.  This applies to the idea of conservation of energy and conservation of momentum, for the energy is never created nor destroyed it is just transferred through electromagnetism or light from one particle to the next.  When two neurons are communicating with one another, this is exactly what happens.  When two neurons wish to communicate they do so via synapses by means of electromagnetism.  This transmission is guided by the balance of potassium and sodium ions that help enhance the transmission of information via photons.  Information is only shared when the action potential of the receiver is at the highest point, also known as a gamma wave, so the receiver can fully receive the information in a manner that will lead to optimal storage and processing to further the transmission of information to other neurons and eventually your speech or whichever sense the human being wishes to use to express themself.  The better one concentrates on a certain subject, the better the subject will remember the stimuli, as well as the processing power of the local system of the brain of which is stimulated by the subject's stimuli.(Desimone, Robert, MIT)  This principle is also equivalent to that of computers, transistors of a circuit are in direct coordination with one another, and will only send information across transistors when the next can handle the transmission of the previous transistor. 

When the light bulb goes off inside your head, light is actually going off in your head which allows the subject to have conscience thought.  When this concept came to me, I was teaching my 7th grade class about the nervous system for their research paper on whether, "Headphones are a major contributing factor to hearing loss?", and a light bulb went off in my head about the light bulb going off in my head, and I laughed out loud while a picture appeared in my brain. My students asked me why I all of a sudden laughed, so I drew pictures on the board on what I was thinking because if I talked to 7th graders about electrodynamics they would be zone out almost instantly, so I broke it down in terms of pictures and it really made them excited to learn more, and that 2 minute lecture really made my entire day because my happiness comes from others finding happiness.  This concept of neural synchrony and selective attention portrayed by the professor of neuroscience at MIT, made me realize why people excel at one subject while they fall behind in others.  If a subject or person is less interested in a subject, they are more likely to do poorly in the subject because the neurons in your brain react more efficiently to stimuli that interest the subject rather than a subject matter that bores them.  This leads to the idea that constructive conditioning is a great thing for human beings, more specifically children and teenagers.  Young humans are more likely to concentrate on subject matter, and truly reach neural synchrony if the teacher offers a reward for good work such as food, stickers, or prizes.  As adults, these prizes are replaced by money and material worth, but it gets tricky when we discuss what constitutes what the terms of a proper work and reward system is in an economic system, but we will not address that because I’d like to stay on task for this blog.  I hope you enjoyed this blog, please tune in next time for the next blog. 

 

 

Desimone, Robert. "Neural Synchrony and Selective Attention." 25 February 2013. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdDMzV26WSk. 5 April 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment